| Over-Ear | 75 hours Battery Life | Bluetooth | 40 mm Driver | Neodymium Magnets |
🎧 We are reviewing the EDIFIER H806BT, an over-ear Bluetooth headphone with a colossal battery life.
EDIFIER is brand specialized in audio devices that range from headphones and earphones up to speakers and car audio. Their catalog includes a very large number of products that offer interesting specs and designs at affordable prices. The bang for buck offered by EDIFIER has built them up a solid reputation with products such as:
- EDIFIER H840 – Popular over ear headphone for their price-performance
- EDIFIER P841 – Budget over ear headphones
- EDIFIER R1280T – Famous Wooden Speakers
The EDIFIER W806BT features 40 mm dynamic drivers, neodymium magnets, Bluetooth 4.0, a 1400 mAh lithium-ion battery, a wireless and wired mode and plastic construction.
This EDIFIER headphone has the same shape and design of the EDIFIER W800BT but with one major upgrade, battery life. The EDIFIER W806BT has more-than-doubled up the battery of the EDIFIER W800BT (which already provided a highly respectable 35 hours), offering a humongous battery life of 75 hours. The impressive 75 hours declared by the brand are not of standby time but real hours of music playback, after our tests of the EDIFIER W806BT we will see if this statement is true or a simple deceiving marketing move.
The cups of the EDIFIER W806BT have enough depth and space as to be, undoubtedly, considered an over-ear headphone (circumaural). The rear plate of the cups have a pattern design that makes them look like metal but they are built in plastic, actually the whole construction is in plastic but they do not feel much more fragile than most Sennheiser headphones. On the right side you will find the volume buttons, a multi-function button and the charging port; on the left side, the 3.5 mm connection is found.
The headband has a soft pad that add sufficient cushioning for the light weighted EDIFIER.
The EDIFIER W806BT is fully compatible with Android and Apple devices.
You can buy the EDIFIER W806BT in black color.
FIND ALL: Earphones Scores Compared
MORE: Headphones Reviews
SEE ALSO: Bluetooth Headphones Reviews
The EDIFIER W806BT grant some advanced features such as:
- Battery Charge Level reading in iOS and selected Android devices: Using the EDIFIER with Apple and Android devices will inform the battery percentage left in the notification section of your smartphone and tablet (Only Android devices compatible with this function will notify the battery charge).
- Low Battery alert: A sound will be heard to alert low battery levels. Also a red light will flash on the MF button’s LED.
- Bluetooth Auto Power Off: Bluetooth will automatically power off when the 3.5mm cable is attached to prevent unintended discharging of the battery.
- Idle Auto Power Off: If you have Bluetooth on and leave them without reproducing any music for a couple of minutes, they will automatically turn off.
- 75 hours of battery life: As per battery life, manufacturers tend to be too optimistic when they state the battery life of their products. Being that the most advanced feature of the EDIFIER H806BT is the whopping 75 hours of music playback, we decided to do the endless test of verifying or invalidating their declared battery life:
EDIFIER W806BT Battery Test
We evaluated the battery life of the EDIFIER W806BT and it took us 5 days to complete the test. If you want the short summary of the test; EDIFIER states 75 hours of battery life, we got 79 hours out of them on a single charge.
Instead if you want the full info of the test, read it below:
- Friday: We turned it on at 06:00 p.m. reproducing a random playlist (very random) at 50% of their maximum volume — We manually turned it off at 03:15 a.m.
- Saturday: We turned it on at 11:45 a.m. reproducing a random playlist and varying their volume from 40% to 100% from time to time and averaging most of the time at 45% of their maximum volume — @ 10:15 p.m. the Apple device informs 80% battery left on the EDIFIER W806BT.
- Sunday: continues reproducing the playlist non-stop since Saturday at 11:45 a.m. — @ 01:15 a.m. the Apple device informs 60% battery left on the EDIFIER W806BT. (Volume was set to 45% in an 85% of the total time)
- Monday: continues reproducing the playlist non-stop since Saturday at 11:45 a.m. — @ 05:45 p.m. 40% battery left. (Volume was set to 45% in an 85% of the total time)
- Tuesday: continues reproducing the playlist non-stop since Saturday at 11:45 a.m. — shuts off at 09:30 a.m. with still reading 20% on the Apple device. (Volume was set to 45% in an 85% of the total time)
- TOTAL= insanely, 79 hours of music playback on a single charge!
Operation & Control
The multi-function and volume buttons of the EDIFIER W806BT allows you to:
- A 3 second press and hold: Power On
- A 5 second press and hold: Set to pairing mode
- A single press: Play, Pause music
- 3 second press and hold while turned ON: Power off
- Turned ON and while in standby with no music or call: 2 tap press activates Siri or voice commands.
Volume UP Button:
- A single press: Volume up by 1 level
- A 1 second press and hold: Skip to next song
Volume Down Button:
- A single press: Volume down by 1 level
- A 1 second press and hold: Previous song
- A single press of the MF button: Answer incoming call
- 1 second press and hold of MF: Redial last number (when there are no incoming calls)
- A single press and hold of MF Button: During incoming call, reject call
- Press and hold both VOL Up and VOL Down buttons until the led flashes 3 times in blue
LED Status Light:
- Alternating red and blue light= Turned on, pairing mode
- Flashing blue light= Turned on and paired
- Red light= Low battery
Charging: The EDIFIER W806BT recharges by plugging it through the micro USB port, the total charge time from a flat battery is 4.5 hours. The led placed on the Multi-function button will indicate the status of the charging process.
- Red light on= Charging
- Red light off= Fully charged
EDIFIER W806BT - Review
Tests & ScoresW
EDIFIER W806BT weight in Ounces and EDIFIER W806BT weight in grams.
SEE ALSO: Earphones Size Comparison
Accessories & Packaging
The EDIFIER W806BT unboxing results in one 3.5 mm cable with both ends having a 3.5 mm male connector and the charging cable. Everything comes packed inside a box similarly designed and sized to the one of the SONY MDR-1A, Sennheiser Game One and SONY MDR-XB950B1.
Bass & Sub Bass
Wired – Bluetooth Off
The EDIFIER W806BT bass is rich with good mid-bass punch and sufficient sub-bass depth. Their lower frequencies response is not excessive nor present a “bass-centered” sound, instead they offer a satisfying balanced bass.
Applying an EQ, their mid-bass and sub-bass get slightly empowered but not by much.
Wireless – Bluetooth On
Using the EDIFIER W806BT in Bluetooth mode, their mid-bass and sub-bass is very noticeably stronger than when used in wired mode. Their bass is now very energetic with strong punch and profound sub-bass. The previously modest bass transforms into a super fun style and is able to cover any kind of bass-intense genre without issues.
Applying an EQ, this time presents an insane amount of punch and depth, if you have good EQ skills and crank up the volume, the EDIFIER W806BT will even respond with a subtle impact and rumble.
As for our classic extreme basshead tests, we did not run the EDIFIER W806BT through them as to avoid any possible damage to their Bluetooth circuitry or internal battery.
MORE: Best Basshead Earphones
SEE ALSO: Best Fun Sounding Earphones Chart
Mids & Vocals
Wired – Bluetooth Off
The EDIFIER W806BT mids have crisp higher mids, lower mids sound clear enough and lower vocals are energetic yet somewhat laid back. Overall their mids are warm, cozy and smooth while not sounding muffled.
With an EQ lower mids and lower vocals open up, remove their laid-back sound and reduce mid-bass bleed. We do not recommend boosting their higher mids frequencies as they do not need it and could risk to empower harshness and sibilance.
Wireless – Bluetooth On
With Bluetooth turned on, mids improve their lower mids with clearer sounding and not laid back lower vocals; higher mids get crispier too. The overall sound of their mids is now better resolved than while wired but with possible harsher peaks.
Using an EQ for the mids of the EDIFIER W806BT while on Bluetooth mode should be cautiously applied as their higher mids are already crisp and can easily become harsh if bumped up with an EQ. We do not find them needing too much help from an EQ but if you are a compulsive EQ-fan you can apply a slight dB boosting to frequencies from 600Hz to 1000Hz to give their general lower mids/vocals a bit more of intensity.
Highs & Treble
Wired – Bluetooth Off
The EDIFIER W806BT highs have enough brightness with a slight darkish tint but do not sound muddy; detail is reasonably resolved. Overall their highs will have good brightness and detail for normal listeners. Some moderate piercing and sibilant highs may show up depending on how sibilant and piercing prone the track is but it is not extremely strong.
An EQ makes their highs noticeably brighter with also additional detail resolved. Sibilance and piercing highs will get more intense.
Wireless – Bluetooth On
The overall highs of the EDIFIER W806BT perceptually become a bit brighter; probably, a sensation generated by the clearer-sounding mids transformation. The change in this frequencies range is much less drastic than what happened with mid-bass and sub-bass.
The sound leaking out of the W806BT is stronger than on many average closed-back headphones, when you set the volume to anything over moderate. They are far from being as leaking as an open-back headphone but consider that they are not the best choice for exclusive library use. On normal city situations their leaking levels will not generate problems and will probably blend in (unless you set your volume to the maximum)
SEE ALSO: Best Earphones for Bed
The sound isolation provided by the EDIFIER W806BT is fair but not extreme; at a low and moderate-low volume you will get a partial awareness of your environment, if you crank the volume up their isolation will become strong and almost absolute (even more if being used in Bluetooth mode)
The clamping force of the EDIFIER W806BT is almost perfect, providing the right amount of pressure to provide a stable fit while not being way too tight as to generate discomfort. The leatherette pads have nice depth and are soft enough, the cups size and depth is also very well designed with sufficient space to be a truly over-ear headphone with the ears inside barely touching the insides of the cups (for a standard-sizes ear).
Moreover, the fully plastic materials used for the construction of these EDIFIER headphones makes them light weighted and the additional headband pad gives them a smoother placement for the top of the head.
RELATED: Best Earphones for Daily Commute
Response to Equalization
The response to every EQ applied by our team was nearly ideal, either while on wired and wireless mode, with the only exception of bass frequencies while being used wired that did not provide a drastic change. Instead, bass frequencies while on Bluetooth mode showed a massive additional mid-bass punch and sub-bass depth; mids gained energy and clarity (in both modes), highs became brighter and more detailed (again, in both modes)
BUY IT AT:
Size & Fit
EDIFIER W806BT size and EDIFIER W806BT fit.
Get the latest reviews on your favorite social network
FIND ALL OUR: Earphones Reviews / In-Ear Headphones Reviews
MORE: Best Earphones Charts
Buy it from:
EDIFIER W806BT Frequency Response
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU: Headphones Frequency Response Curves
SEE ALSO: KZ Headphones Frequency Response Curves
|Type||Dynamic + Bluetooth|
|Bluetooth||4.0 / HFP, HSP, A2DP, AVRCP|
|Battery Capacity||1400 mAh Lithium-Ion|
|Cord||Detachable, round cord|
|Battery Life||75 hours music playback / 800 hours standby|
|Charging Time||4.5 hours|
|Supplied Accessories||3.5mm cable, charging cable|
MORE: Amazon Coupons & Deals
Enjoyed this Article?
We hope you enjoyed this article. All the earphones reviews, earbuds reviews, headsets reviews, in-ear monitors reviews (iem), in-ear headphones reviews are made as objective and thorough as possible to provide our readers a way to choose the best earphones, earbuds, iem, in-ear monitors, headsets and in-ear headphones. By providing exhaustive information we allow our readers to even fine-tune their choices to select among the best budget earphones, best earphones for sports, best basshead earphones, best fun sounding earphones, most balanced earphones, least fatiguing earphones, most comfortable earphones, best looking earphones or even for the best cheap earphones to buy. Our resources offer: In-Depth Earphones Reviews, Earphones Scores Compared, an Earphones Size Comparison Tool, a sound frequency cheat-sheet, an Earphones Amplification Comparison Table, a brief audio glossary with the most frequent audio terms and audio definitions, and our Earphones Top Charts (covering the Top 10 Basshead Earphones, Best Bang for Buck Earphones, Top Sports Earphones, Best KZ earphones, Best bang for buck KZ earphones, Best basshead KZ earphones, Best KZ earphones for bass, Best KZ earphones for gaming, Best KZ earphones for sleeping, Best KZ earphones for working out, Best KZ earphones under $20, Best KZ earphones under $50, Best smallest KZ earphones, Top Balanced Earphones, Top Fun Sound Earphones, top smooth sounding earphones)